[cups.development] Creating a new backend.

pipitas pipitas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 13:16:56 PST 2010

On 12/02/2010 10:00 PM, alet at librelogiciel.com wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 12:29:36PM -0800, pipitas wrote:
>> On 10/25/2010 05:14 PM, Roger Wolff wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a problem that CUPS might solve....
>>>
>>> I have 4 DVD burners, and I'd like to use a queuing program to handle
>>> the queuing and job-distribution..... I thought I'd make a web-interface
>>> like CUPS has, but then it hit me: Why not use CUPS itself?
>>>
>>> So: Will CUPS handle 4G+ queue files? And: how do I tell cups to use my
>>> bash-script for the backend?
>>

>> Have a look at these example and testing backends, called "2file" and
>> "dir", written in Bash:
>>
>>     http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/KDEPrint/Tools%2BUtilities#.272dir.27_CUPS_backend_script_.28Bash_code.29
>
> I would suggest you use tea4cups
> (http://www.pykota.com/software/tea4cups) because the backend part is
> already written, and all you have to do is write the burning part :
> you'll be able to plug it into tea4cups in minutes through its
> configuration file.

Yes, Jerome is right: tea4cups may be more easy and faster to get your
job done.

However, it is not too easy to understand tea4cups. Looking at the 2dir
bash script and its internal comments might teach you some basics about
about how cupsd recognizes and accepts as valid its available backends.

Cheers,
pipitas