CUPS sharing broken in Ubuntu 9.10

Dave Sones davesones at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 08:22:44 PST 2010

I can't see any reports of this in the forums, so I hope I'm not repeating something that has already been flagged up.

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. My previous (9.04) set-up had a Canon USB printer connected to my desktop, which was shared by another machine on the network, also running 9.04. This worked fine. But having upgraded the desktop to 9.10 I found that whilst the second machine can see the shared printer, it can no longer print to it. I can make a print request in any program and it appears to accept; however, nothing happens and no (remote) jobs appear in the print queue.

The printer works fine on the machine it's connected to and is configured in CUPS as a shared printer.

There is quite a long thread on the Ubuntu forums, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313049, which indicates that this is a widespread problem affecting many Ubuntu users.

Is anyone aware of a fix, or is a patch imminent?