usblp0 removed

Pramathesh Ambasta pramathesh_a at rediffmail.com
Sat Feb 20 01:31:17 PST 2010

I don't know if this is a bug but since there are problems in printing and this is something new, I thought I would begin by reporting here.

I am using cups 1.3.9 on a server running Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04. The device URI is

hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00CNHJ63P0XY

The server is used as a file and print server for a small network. The printer attached to it is an HP Laserjet 1320 printer which has been working fine for nearly a year. Past few days though, there are connection problems from clients with messages such as "printer not connected" appearing, print jobs hanging and needing to be cancelled, or gettig stuck after a few pages and so on.

I looked up syslog to see the following:

Feb 20 14:32:28 ubuntu-server kernel: [15328.525382] usblp0: removed
Feb 20 14:32:36 ubuntu-server hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00CNHJ63P0XY: io/hpmud/mlc.c 135: unexpected MLCCreditRequest: cmd=4, hid=2, pid=2, credit=65535

Will be really grateful for help and am ready to post more information if required

Thanks
Pramathesh