[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3468: Brother MFC7420 printer using wrong paper size after upgrade

IgnorantGuru jgj7.ignorantguru at mailnull.com
Fri Jan 8 08:14:06 PST 2010

The latest cups/ghostscript caused my Brother MFC7420 laser printer to
print with the wrong margins - down about an inch from the top, cutting
off the bottom of the page, and shifted right, cutting off the right side.
 All apps such as OpenOffice had this problem, including printing both ps
and text from lpr (the ps file created from OpenOffice showed the right
margins but printed wrong).  No changes to paper size in CUPS or in the
apps changed it, but editing the file /usr/local/Brother/inf/brMFC7420rc,
changing "Change PaperType=A4" to "PaperType=Letter" appears to have
resolved it.

I think this problem developed after upgrading my Arch system from cups
1.4.2-1 -> 1.4.2-2, and ghostscript from 8.70-2 -> 8.70-3.  This
Brother-provided driver has worked reliably for a long time (except one
time when a ghostscript bug caused it to print blank pages).