[cups.bugs] No printer found

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jan 8 09:16:20 PST 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Sebastian wrote:
>> This particular printer requires HP's backend and driver to work...
>>
> What does mean backend and driver? Are the printing languages PS, PCL5 or PCL6 not supported by cups-1.4 ?
> Or do I need a special devise file to talk to an USB-Printer in cups-1.4 ?

IIRC, the Color LaserJet 2500 does not support any of HP's standard languages.

The base CUPS software only provides "generic" drivers for HP's PCL 3/4/5 and PostScript products and "generic" backends (programs that talk to printers) for standard USB and network protocols. Many printers require special software to work, in addition to CUPS.

>> and that is a PDF font support/font embedding issue, which would point =
>> to an issue with poppler or Ghostscript.
>>
> O.K poppler could it be, because I did update all but poppler also I installed new fonts but that error still appeared.

If the PDF does not embed the font/characters being used, then the default is to draw a block in place of the missing characters.  You should see the same behavior when viewing or printing.