No printer found

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Jan 8 09:42:06 PST 2010

Sebastian wrote:

>  What printer do you have?
>
> hp color LaserJet 2500
> USB listing:
> Hersteller: Hewlett-Packard
> Seriennummer: 999999916635
> USB-Version 1.10
> Anbieter-Kennung 0x3f0 (Hewlett-Packard)
> Produkt-Kennung 0x717
> Revision 4.00
> Geschwindigkeit 12 Mbit/s
>

>> What OS/Linux distribution?
>
> GNU linux kernel-2.6.26.2 , 32 bit, multicore
>>
>> Did you compile from source or install an existing package?
>
> Yes, from source with:
> gcc (GCC) 4.3.1
> GNU Make 3.81
> GNU C Library stable release version 2.7
>
> If I compile and install cups-1.3.11 all works fine but printing the
> document: http://www.intel.com/hardwaredesign/hpetspec_1.pdf
> it prints randomly some chars as filled black rectangles.

The rectangles instead of chars almost certainly is a matter of the fonts
installed in your system, as the PDF does not have the required fonts
embedded nore a ToUnicodeMap. The only reliable information in the PDF is
that the fonts used (except the symbol and wingdings fonts, which have a
font specific encoding) are WinAnsi encoded. As you state that the PDF to PS
conversion on your system is done by poppler, it may be that poppler does
not correctly recognize this.

Helge