[cups.bugs] No printer found

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jan 8 10:36:43 PST 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Sebastian wrote:

>> The base CUPS software only provides "generic" drivers for HP's PCL =
>> 3/4/5 and PostScript products and "generic" backends (programs that talk =
>> to printers) for standard USB and network protocols. Many printers =
>> require special software to work, in addition to CUPS.
>>

> What can I do now, that cups can find the printer, recognize it?
> There must be changed something in cups from version 1.3 to 1.4 that a usb
> printer can't be found / talked to any more.
> I did update to the newest libusb-1.0.6 but no change.

The current CUPS 1.4 USB backend only supports libusb-0.x - the 1.0 APIs are incompatible.

You can try configuring CUPS to use the older kernel USB printer driver:

    ./configure ... --disable-libusb

which uses the older USB backend code for printing on Linux (but is incompatible with HP's software...)