[cups.bugs] IPP waitprinter stuck waiting in a print class - bug?

Jeff Chua jeff.chua.linux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:29:24 PST 2010

Michael,

I'm trying to use the IPP waitprinter option and have created a class
consisting of 3 printers (lets call this class1). I noticed that when one of
the printer is "stuck", the IPP printer (with the waitprinter=true) will get
stuck trying to send to  class1.

1) create 3 printers (p1, p2, p3) all under "class1"
2) create an IPP printer (w1) with option waitprinter=true.
3) intentionally cause p2 to "slow" printing be inducing a 200 seconds
delay.
4) print many times from w1 to class1

lpstat will show w1 hanging trying to print to class1 because class1 is
waiting for p2 to becomes idle.

Since class1 is a class consisting of 3 printers, it should be considered
"idle" because the other 2 printers in its class are idle and can accept new
jobs even if one of it's peer is down, so shouldn't w1 continues to print to
p1 and p3?

I've also noticed that if I create another IPP printer called "w2" with the
same waitprinter=true as in "w1", it has no problem printing to "class1" as
p2 is already "busy".

So, is this a bug or feature? It would be nice for class1 to continue
serving "w1" since the other 2 printers are available.

Thanks,
Jeff