[cups.development] How to best implement fax sending using a multi-function printer?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jul 2 09:09:54 PDT 2010

Hello

On Jul 2 05:49 Reinhold Kainhofer wrote (shortened):

> I'm looking into implementing support for the fax sending
> An example communication obtained with wireshark is:
>
> 12345X at PJL
> @PJL SET DRIVERTYPE = PCFAX
> @PJL SET COMPRESS = JBIG
> @PJL SET FAXCOUNT = 1
> @PJL SET FAXTEL = +43-1-58801-9-10515
> @PJL SET PAGESTATUS = START
> @PJL SET PAPERWIDTH = 1728
> @PJL SET PAPERLENGTH = 1179
> @PJL SET RESOLUTION = 98
> @PJL SET IMAGELEN = 1993
> ..... [Here comes the JBIG image data]
> @PJL SET PAGESTATUS = END
>

> Now, my only problem is how to ask the user for the receiver's
> fax number...

CUPS supports custom options in the PPD file, see
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/spec-ppd.html
in particular the CustomJCLPasscode example
how it should be possible to get a PJL option
with an (almost) arbitrary user defined value.

Unfortunately - as far as I know - there is currently
no user GUI print dialog which implements support
for those CUPS custom options.

It seems the "Common Printing Dialog", see
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/commonprintingdialog
may provide support for CUPS custom options
when it is implemented at all.
At least its "Specification for PPD Extensions"
see for example the last page of
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/images/e/e2/Common-Printing-Dialog-Specs-Tokyo-July-2008.pdf
mentions support for CUPS custom options.

Till,
could you tell more about the "Common Printing Dialog"
regarding CUPS custom options?

I think it would be much better to implement generic
support for CUPS custom options in a print dialog
than whatever special filter and backend stuff.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex