[cups.development] CUPS-specific LDAP schema - WHY?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jul 7 13:04:27 PDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> Why does CUPS require a custom LDAP schema?

The main reason is that we don't want to discover and use arbitrary LDAP-advertised printers on the network - we are advertising CUPS shared printers and not the laser printer down the hall that was entered into the LDAP directory that needs a special driver.

Feel free to provide a patch to use the RFC 3712 schema as an option, or to provide a backend that does regular printer discovery using LDAP...

http://www.cups.org/str.php