CUPS web interface

chris chrisgfd1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:02:39 PDT 2010

> On Jul 15, 2010, at 3:42 AM, chris wrote:
> > We are running CUPS on a 10.6.4 Snow Leopard Server. It did work in =
> 10.5.8, but it was a different version of CUPS then. The clients are =
> running 10.6.4 desktop. I have a generic print driver on the server, and =
> the true driver on the client. (This was the work around in 10.5.8 that =
> helped enforce quotas.) We mostly have Xerox and HP network printers =
> here, about 30 of them and they all give me an issue enforcing quotas on =
> any client, even an older version 10.5.8 for instance. Any help would be =
> greatly appreciated.
>
> You really need to use the real drivers on the server and then just use =
> the Bonjour Shared queue from the clients - right now all of the =
> processing is happening on the clients and the server never knows to do =
> any accounting.
>
> (and yes, this *is* a change from 10.5.x, which didn't correctly flag =
> that the PostScript was device-ready; that caused a lot of headaches for =
> people...)

The only problem with that is, I can't add the bojour printer in Workgroup Manager. It just doesn't show up. And adding the printers to each of the over 1000 clients is almost impossible. What I have done in the past was add it in to one of the servers, and in WGM, send it out to each of the clients. I have show bonjour checked in serveradmin, as well as CUPS web interface DNS is on. Any advice? Thanks

Chris