[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3596: Gnome print dialog hangs for 5+ seconds before populating Cups queues on linux

Nic nbade at scharp.org
Wed Jun 2 17:25:36 PDT 2010

Hello,
I'm really stumped, I've been trying to resolve this issue for a while
now, and haven't been able to get anywhere.  Any help or advice would be
much appreciated!

To clarify the problem:
We have a printserver running cups, and configured with all our printers
and ppds.  Our desktop machines are pointed to the print server, via a
client.conf configuration.

On solaris 10, the printers appear immediately in the gnome print diolog
when a user goes to print somthing -- (applications like firefox, gedit,
etc) -- but on the two flavors of Linux we use (SuSE & Fedora) there is a
hang of at least 5 seconds before the printers are populated.  This has
been the case for cups 1.3.9 and 1.4.3.

Interestingly the 'print to file' option shows up immediately.  lpstat -v
outputs extremely quickly, and other applications, such as acroread
populate the gnome menues immediately.

The delay, which sometimes will be more like 10-15 seconds, is too long
for our users, we've gotten around the problem by using a custom
printers.conf file that defines a remote queue.  It's definitely not as
nice as being able to do all the configuration server side.  Any insight
would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help!

-Nic

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3596