[cups.development] Sending Print Packets (for lack of a better word) to CUPS

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Mar 3 13:45:30 PST 2010

If you want to print directly, you'll need to do more than stream print data - CUPS (and cupsd specifically) is an IPP-based print server, so you'll need to generate IPP messages and post them using HTTP over the normal CUPS ports.

Some people have setup raw socket listeners via xinetd/inetd that basically pipe their output into lp or lpr, which then generate a Print-Job request for the local cupsd.