[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3530: Cups 1.4 on Ubuntu 9.10, auto configuration changes default choice "A4" to "a4"

shilpi shilpi at adobe.com
Tue Mar 16 07:37:43 PDT 2010

we had seen that once we configure the printer by giving the make and model
of the printer, the ppd that eventually gets placed at "/etc/cups/ppd/"
location has the default page size as "a4" which should be "A4" and that
was the problem area. Please notice the change in alphabet case.

I checked for the cups ppd repository at "/usr/share/ppd/" and saw that
the concerned ppd has the correct value as "A4".
Tried out for a couple of printer makes and found that though the initial
template ppd(/usr/share/ppd/) is correctly worded, it is the final ppd
that is named after the printer name (for eg. /etc/cups/ppd/Printer1.ppd)
that has "a4" as the default page size always irrespective of the value in
the template ppds.

The next finding is that if I configure the same printer by giving the
absolute path of the ppd placed at "/usr/share/ppd/"  the printer is
configured with correct defaults i.e. "A4" instead of "a4".

Thus, it seems to be a bug with auto configuring printers using the Cups
interface.