[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3530: Cups 1.4 on Ubuntu 9.10,auto configuration changes default choice "A4" to "a4"

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 03:05:34 PDT 2010

CUPS supports libpaper natively already from version 1.1 on. libpaper
delivers page sizes always all-lowercase, and CUPS seems to need them
case-sensitively matching with what is written in the PPD files.

Now I have a question: Do option and choice names have to match
case-sensitively with the names in the PPD? Do the Adobe specs allow an
option with different choices like "a4" and "A4"? If option and choice
names are case-insensitive ("lpr -o pagesize=a3 file" would print the
file on A3 paper) then CUPS would need to case-insensitively match the
libpaper setting with the choices of the PPD file and select the
appropriate choice from the PPD (here "A4").

If the PPD specs allow the definition of different paper sizes, one
named "a4" and the other named "A4" then we have really a bug in
libpaper as then libpaper must deliver the page size names as "A4",
"Letter", ... as "a4" and "letter" are (not yet standardized) different
sizes.

    Till