unwanted Supplies Levels pages printing from Snow Leopard

Ed Berger eberger at psc.edu
Mon May 3 09:10:43 PDT 2010

I run cupsd and cups-lpd on a virtual linux server for departmental printing spooling needs for various public laser printers.

Since some of my Mac OS users have upgraded to snow leopard, they've been unexpectedly printing out 1 page jobs titled "Supplies Levels".  At first I noticed the lpd jobs, so I hacked scheduler/cups-lpd.c to drop those jobs automagically, then I noticed the ipp ones coming in...

I was running a very old version of CUPS, so I updated to the 1.4.3 version, but the problem remains.  Is there supposed to be a mime.types/mime.convs and filter program that does some magic to support the new MacOS and these job requests, and suppress printing out the unwanted pages?