[cups.development] [printing-driver] Canon CAPT driver - WORK IN PROGRESS

Alexey Galakhov agalakhov at gmail.com
Mon May 24 08:26:12 PDT 2010

Thank you, I've seen most of that stuff already. Can you please tell me any
links to LBP* open-source Japanese sites? I have someone who can read
Japanese for me.

Existing open-source drivers seem to work for many but not all models.
Canon's driver for LBP-2900 and similar models seem to rely on a
closed-source kernel. My work is heavily based on open-source drivers I
found so far. However, they do "model 0" ("SCoA") printers only, and recent
models of Canon are "model 1", or "Hi-SCoA". They use completely different
compression. The handshaking seems to bethe same, however.

I decided to use foo2xxx route for first (research) time only as it is
easier to use for testing WITHOUT complete printing subsystem. (I just use
"foo2capt < test.pnm" for testing now). I'll convert it into something
that's more correct immediately after getting it to work.