blank page on raw print queue

brett hassall brett.hassall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 16:43:01 PDT 2010

Hello

I am trying to set up a Linux machine as an internet and print server for windows clients. the internet server side is working really well now but i'm stuck with a problem printing.

Linux is Ubuntu Karmic. Printer is Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint 203A laser.

Initially I was using a postscript driver on the windows client and the Xerox P8E driver (foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e) on Karmic. This worked fine except the laser would cycle down/up between every page and printing large files was tediously slow.

I thought using the OEM windows driver on the clients and a raw print queue on Karmic would speed things up and it has in some ways but behaviour is inconsistent:
a) if I print a 2 page file, it prints ok but there is a cycle down/up between the pages
b) if I print a 3 page file. it print the first page and a blank page, then cycles down/up, then prints the next 2 pages without a pause between them. The print speed on the last 2 pages is how the printer normally works under windows.

This behaviour is repeatable.

I've spent a few days on this but I'm not making any progress. Any suggestions would be much appeciated.

Thanks
brett