[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3658: Obscure notification message: 'com.apple.print.recoverable'

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Sep 3 06:38:43 PDT 2010

I filed this bug against Ubuntu but it is probably an upstream (CUPS)
specific bug?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/447940

My network printer has had its IP change due to me reconfiguring my
network. I have an Ubuntu 9.10 laptop which hasn't been informed of this
fact, so still has the old IP address. I went to print to it, thinking I'd
get some kind of message about the printer being unavailable but instead
got a notification popup saying:-

"Printer 'Genicom-microLaser-210': 'com.apple.print.recoverable'.

I can only guess at what this means. The same message appears if I hover
over the printer icon. Now of course I can "fix" this by changing the IP
address of the printer, but the message is a touch obscure. Indeed, one
nice thing is simply changing the IP address in the admin screen results
in my output appearing - which is very nice :)