Lots of backend processes after stopping cupsd?

Andrea Sen as at seh.de
Wed Sep 8 07:46:46 PDT 2010

Hello,

if I restart my server, while there is still running a backend process (if a job could not be printed for some reasons), it seems as if this process is started over and over again.
This happens also, if I just stop cupsd, then there are 1000 or more processes belonging to cups. Mainly backend processes, but also some cupsd processes. Most of them are marked as defunct.

Is this the correct behavior? Shutting down the server takes some time, I think because all the processes have to be stopped?

I use Ubuntu 9.04, but compiled cups-1.4.4 on my own. Printing and everything else works well...

Thanks a lot,
Andrea Sen