[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3683: lpq -h argument must be before -P to list a remote queue

Colin Guthrie cups at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 29 08:28:41 PDT 2010

Hi,

If I use "lpq -P PrinterName -h hostname" the -P bit is apparently
resolved with the default host, not the one specified by the -h argument.

The following output shows this (192.168.1.5 is a remote machine, not the
localhost which is also running a cups server):

[colin at summit ~]$ lpq -h 192.168.1.5 -P Xerox_Phaser_6125
Xerox_Phaser_6125 is ready
no entries
[colin at summit ~]$ lpq -P Xerox_Phaser_6125 -h 192.168.1.5
lpq: Unknown destination "Xerox_Phaser_6125"!

As you can see in the first example I specify -h first and the printer
shows up fine, but if I specify -h second it fails.

As the --help output show -P first and -h second this was the order I
picked initially and scratched my head for some time about the problem.

It could be this is intended behaviour, but if so, the arguments order in
the --help outpu and/or man page should highlight this better.

(FWIW, I found this when trying to make BrowseRelay work... it was working
a while back, but after changing a router it is somehow magically broken :(
- I can list the printers in the lpq output as shown but a simple
browserelay line to the same IP will not make the printer available to the
private subnet - it's a different problem tho' so I wont harp on about it!)

For references the remote machine is OSX (because that printer model does
not have Linux drivers - even tho' it should just be a recompile :() and
the localhost is Linux, both running 1.4.4.