[cups.development] Filters and rotation

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 04:05:07 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 03:32 -0700, Helge Blischke wrote:
> IIRC, the notation or "Orientation" stems from the times of level 1
> PostScript interpreters for roll feed media and is specifically listed
> within the table specifying the page device parameters for roll feed media
> in the 3rd ed. of the PLRM.
> As for the comment lines cited above, I think it is perfectly correct:
> though the media has a "landscape geometry", the orientation of the page
> contents with respect to the media is portrait.

Perfectly correct PostScript, yes -- but when you rasterize it, the
output would be the wrong way round for the printer unless you rotate it
first.  That's why pstoraster rotates it.

It means that foomatic-rip also needs to rotate it, and it currently
isn't doing so.  At least, it isn't doing so for me in this instance --
I need to investigate if that's a special case or whether it just isn't
implemented.

Tim.
*/