[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3911: cupsaddsmb fails if drivers for Win98 are present

Paolo Saggese pmsa4-cups at yahoo.it
Wed Aug 3 21:10:08 PDT 2011

Please see debian bug #614090:

If drivers for Win98 are present, cupsaddsmb correctly detect and try to
install them, but the specific install command fails with an SMB error.

This does NOT only affect Win98, since it makes the whole process fail
(or, worse yet, it enters a never-ending loop continuosly re-trying to
install all drivers).

If I remove the Win98 drivers from /usr/share/cups/drivers then cupsaddsmb
works without problems.

This is what happen, e.g. on a Debian Squeeze:

$ sudo cupsaddsmb -v pdf
Password for root required to access localhost via SAMBA:
Running command:
[...]
Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -A /tmp/06b6f4d623ea3 -c
'adddriver "Windows 4.0"
"pdf:ADOBEPS4.DRV:pdf.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV,pdf.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,ICONLIB.DLL"'
result was WERR_INVALID_PARAM

Or, on a Mandriva 2010.2:

# cupsaddsmb -v lab2
Password for root required to access localhost via SAMBA:
Running command:
[...]
Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -A /root/tmp/008bf4e449ea7 -c
'adddriver "Windows 4.0"
"lab2:ADOBEPS4.DRV:lab2.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV,lab2.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,ICONLIB.DLL"'
result was WERR_BROKEN_PIPE

(here I get "broken pipe" because the smb process PANIC and crashes, but
the problem is actually the same).

I have also tried to manually run the above (failing) rpcclient command.
Of course if run as-is I get the same results. But! removing the ":NULL:"
entry ( 's/PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:/PPD:ADOBEPS4.HLP/' ) from the above cmd
line everything seems to work just fine.

AFAICT, that ":NULL:" string is hard-coded in the source (cupsaddsmb.c).

I wonder: what's the purpose of that ":NULL:" string? is it really
required?

Otherwise, it should be easy to fix the problem with a trivial patch on
cupsaddsmb.c.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3911
Version: 1.4-current