wishlist: distinguishi "Discovered Network Printers"

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Wed Aug 31 19:57:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to give enough information to the user to decide which of the "Discovered Network Printers" s/he wants to use.

I think there are two issues: 1) multiple entries for a single printer; 2) multiple printers of the same make and model on the same network.

I guess (1) is due to multiple available interfaces or drivers or both.  Is it possible to give the user which interface/driver each entry represents?  Even better, can CUPS recommend one of the multiple entries?

As for (2), is it possible to give some network information (such as MAC address and IP address) or printer identification (such as the manufacturer's serial number) to each entry?

We have four example of the same model on our floor, and so far, I'm able to determine which entry shown by CUPS is the nearest to my office only by trial and error (sending test pages).

Cheers,
Ryo