[cups.development] CUPS Print Self Test Page does not work fornon-Postscript printers

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jan 12 08:49:08 PST 2011

On Jan 12, 2011, at 2:26 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 13:14 -0800, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> This is a Foomatic bug and not something we will fix or work around in
>> CUPS.
>
> Luckily, the documentation for how to allow "dynamic" drivers such as
> foomatic to set their own ppd-type has recently landed in SVN, so there
> is now a documented way for foomatic (and other dynamic drivers such as
> gutenprint) to fix this.

Sadly, the documentation change (and any driver interface changes) won't affect this problem since cupsd a) doesn't use the driver type and b) has no way to differentiate between a PostScript printer driver that has a filter for application/vnd.cups-postscript and a wrapper driver like Foomatic that has a filter for application/vnd.cups-postscript.

Short of special-casing Foomatic (which we won't do), all I can think is to extend the cupsCommands PPD keyword to allow an empty string value, e.g.:

    *cupsCommands: ""

Foomatic could then add this to their generated PPDs and then cupsd would recognize this as meaning "no command filter and not compatible with commandtops".

Feel free to file a bug...

http://www.cups.org/str.php