[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3780: Some HP Printers use color ink to print black in Default Color mode

Joe Mulloy jdmulloy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 08:39:05 PST 2011

The default Printout Mode in the PPD for certain HP printers uses only the
color cartridge, not the black ink cartridge. I discovered this because I
have an HP DeskJet D2360 that was printing pink text despite having a new
black cartridge. I found that by switching to grayscale mode the printer
would correctly use the black ink cartridge and I would get black text. I
took a look at the PPD and found that the following line was causing the
problem.

'*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting PrintoutMode=Normal: "Quality=300ColorCMY"'

I was able to get the desired result, that is text printed with black ink
and color used for color object by changing that line to the following.

'*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting PrintoutMode=Normal: "Quality=300ColorCMYK"'

I also changed the corresponding lines for High Quality and Draft modes.

I am running CUPS 1.4.4 on OpenSuse 11.3

I found all affected PPDS with the following bash commands from
/usr/share/cups

'for i in `find | grep "\.ppd\.gz"`; do zcat $i | grep -q
PrintoutMode.*CMY\"; if [ $? == 0 ]; then echo $i; fi; done >
/home/jdmulloy/hp_ppd_list.txt'

'for i in `cat /home/jdmulloy/hp_ppd_list.txt`; do zcat $i | grep -q
ColorCMYK; if [ $? == 0 ]; then echo $i; fi; done >
/home/jdmulloy/hp_ppd_list2.txt'

The purpose of the second command is to filter out PPDs that don't contain
the string ColorCMYK

I have attach the output in a separate file.