[cups.development] Error messages on printer proxy for OSX 10.6

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jan 25 10:36:25 PST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:36 AM, keens312 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In our port monitor, we send "ERROR: Paper Out" to stderr on receiving specific code from backchannel.
>
> It works great on OSX 10.5.
>
> On OSX 10.6 (we tried 10.6.2 and 10.6.6), the error message can be displayed by the messages with ERROR prefix we sent, but the message on the printer proxy cannot be changed anymore after then.
>
> Anyone have suggestions? Does CUPS 1.4.6 not support "ERROR: message" anymore?
> What's the correct way to show status message then?

CUPS 1.4 and later remember the log level of the last message shown for a job, so if you send an ERROR message then any future less important (e.g. INFO or WARNING) messages will not be shown in the proxy.

The correct way to show messages like "paper out" is to use STATE: messages so that the proxy can do the right thing (i.e. show a badge on the printer icon in the dock, bounce the dock icon, etc.)

See:

    http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/api-filter.html#MESSAGES

for the details.