[cups.development] [patch] Add colord support to CUPS

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:45:43 PST 2011

Hi,

My name is Richard Hughes, and I work for Red Hat in the desktop
group. I'm trying to make color correction "just work" for the
majority of Linux users. At the moment, we're concentrating on these
users: http://colord.hughsie.com/profiles.html but we obviously don't
want to forget about the color professionals who know what they are
doing.

To make this possible, I have been developing a daemon called
colord[1] which provides a system policy service on Linux (not unlike
some aspects of colorsync) which interfaces with the session in the
form of GNOME Color Manager.

Moving our focus now onto the printing stack, myself and Tim Waugh
have been working on CUPS to allow it to register devices and profiles
with colord, much like colorsync.

Till Kamppeter has recently merged my patch to the CUPS ghostscript
filters that now query colord for the default ICC profile to use. I
have sent other patches to Till for the foomatic filter also. With the
attached patch to CUPS, the cupsd daemon adds devices and profiles to
colord, which can then have priorities or match rules (we call these
'qualifiers') so that the user can manually assign a manufacturer
supplied profile, or even generate a profile themselves using tools
like argyllcms.

This is my first patch to CUPS, and I'm fully prepared for any rework
the patch requires after review.

So, could someone please review my patch and give me some comments.
I've used a local git-svn mirror to generate the patch against svn
trunk, although if should apply fine if you use the patch -p1 option.
To test, you need to be running colord 0.1.3. If colord isn't present
then no devices or profiles are added and we continue like normal
without errors. The patch also appears to apply against 1.4.

Thanks,

Richard

[1] http://colord.hughsie.com