[cups.development] How/where can I obtain a filter for cupsto produce PWG raster file?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Mar 22 22:28:29 PDT 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 8:09 PM, Roy Samuel wrote:
> Thanks Michael for the reply :) My goal is to produce a PWG raster file first, and then to write code which would decode the PWG raster file to plain RGB (uncompressed). I understand that ‘Google cloud print’ has chosen PWG raster as their PDL, and printers would come with support for PWG raster baked in.
> --1--  Is the code for decoding PWG raster file to RGB data already existing in the public domain? If so, would you direct me to it?

There is no "public domain" code that I am aware of.  The CUPS code is provided under the terms of the LGPL2.

> --2--  Also, is there a location where I can download a sample PWG raster file?

Not that I am aware of. Ghostscript, cgpdftoraster (Mac OS X), and the imagetoraster filter included with CUPS are all capable of generating CUPS Raster, from which you can derive PWG Raster (which is big-endian CUPS Raster).