[cups.development] detect printer status

Berend De Schouwer berend.deschouwer at ucs-software.co.za
Tue Mar 29 04:56:52 PDT 2011

On 29/03/2011 13:18, bui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a Qt program to control a USB printer. How can I detect the printer status (just display the online-offline status)? When I use IPP API to querry the printer state, it always return: printerstate is idle.
>
> When I turn on and turn off the printer, the kernel display notify message about usblp (I am using CUPS 1.3.9), so I think there must be a way to detect the on-off status of the printer using CUPS API, but I can not find it until now.

I think the Cups service only updates when it tries to print -- not when
it's idle.

Try turn the printer off, then print something, then query the status.

The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential information of UCS Group and/or its subsidiaries.  Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone other than the intended addressee is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer immediately and destroy the e-mail.  UCS Group Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.