[cups.development] Filters and rotation

Jon Peatfield J.S.Peatfield at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 11:13:18 PDT 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Tim Waugh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to track down a problem with a queue that uses a
> foomatic-based driver, and I'm trying to work out exactly when a job
> documented should be rotated, and what assumptions each filter may make.
>
> The background is that I am using CUPS-1.3.7, and I have a landscape PDF
> document.  The filter chain goes:
>
>  pdftops ( -> pstops ) -> foomatic-rip ( -> gs ) -> backend
>
> The problem is that while my input document looks like this:
>
> +---------+
> |landscape|
> |         |
> +---------+
>
> my output looks like this:
>
> +----+
> |land|
> |    |
> +----+
>
> In other words, it is incorrectly rotated, and it is cropped.
>
> I have discovered that the job document is still in landscape format
> (i.e. the width is larger than the height) when it reaches foomatic-rip.

Is this with the old cups pdftops (which had code based on an old version
of xpdf pdftops) or the newer version where cups pdftops calls an external
xpdf/poppler pdftops or gs?

Do you know what cups options are present when the job is submitted?  Can
you obtain the command-line arguments passed to the filters (and any child
processes)?

As I'm sure you already know cups options like 'fit', 'landscape' or
'orientation-requested' can influence what rotations are attempted by cups
pdftops.

  -- Jon