[cups.development] Print option - number of copies

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue May 17 09:30:59 PDT 2011

On May 17, 2011, at 1:11 AM, keens312 wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> There are two positions about the number of copies in print option.
> 1. argv[4] passed as argument to the filter
> 2. com.apple.print.PrintSettings.PMCopies..n.=X
>
> What's the different usage for the two values?

The first is the value that is passed in the filter chain. The second is only used for the deprecated Tioga print path and will be removed in the future.

> which one should I use in driver to control how many copies to print?

For a raster driver you should only look at the NumCopies member of the page header.

For a non-raster driver you should look at argv[4], but only if you are the first filter in the chain (reading from a file on the command-line instead of stdin).