[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3978: USB backend crashes from time to time

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 08:23:43 PST 2011

See

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/887094

a Ubuntu user complains that the "usb" CUPS backend is crashing from time
to time when he is printing and so some jobs do not get printed.

With the help of his core dump I could find out that if the reading of the
device ID from the device fails in a certain way, having the IOCTL function
not reporting an error but returning invalid data, the USB backend crashes.
This happens if the reported length of the ID string (first two bytes) is
zero or at least very small. I have created a patch which makes failure
reported then instead of trying to convert the read ID string into a C
string.

The patch is attached and the original bug reporter tells that the patch
fixes the problem.