[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3959: Unable to see Epson Stylus 440 attached to USB

Andreas asimex at gmx.net
Mon Oct 17 12:01:24 PDT 2011

I have been using Linux Mint Debian edition with cups 1.4.x for about 9
month. Printer is an Epson Stylus color 44 attached via a parallel to USB
dongle.
2 month back after upgrading to a new cups version, the printer stopped
working and all I get is an error "Waiting for the printer to become
available". Under Windows XP and 7 all is fine.

I upgraded cups up to 1.5.8 and the latest available development snapshot.
No luck.
I upgraed kernel versions from 2.6.32 to 2.6.38 and 3.0.0, no luck.
I also switched to the latest Ubuntu release 10.11, same problem here.
This is kind of annoying.
I understand this might not be the highest priority, but on the other hand
find it hard to believe that this is limited to one printer type. this
looks more like a generic problem to me.