[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3967: Printing to Novell (non-CUPS?) IPP servers fails with "cups-ipp-missing-validate-job"

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 08:55:16 PDT 2011

Attempting to print using Novell IPP servers in CUPS 1.5.0 results in the
error "cups-ipp-missing-validate-job".  (CUPS 1.4.6 worked fine, with no
problems.)  As far as I can tell, this seems to be linked to the new IPP
compliance tests added to the CUPS 1.5 release (/backend/ipp.c revisions
9490 9759).  As I understand it, Validate-Job is a CUPS extension to IPP,
and so other IPP servers may not implement this.  Looking at the logs, the
print-job request still occurs after this test, but nothing is actually
printed.

The attached log file is from an attempted print with logging set to
debug.

As a quick test, I tried modifying ipp.c in the following way:

- Line 1052: replace with a simple fprintf to stderr.
- Line 1229: prefix with "validate_job=0;"

This had the result of generating "server_error_service_unavailable"
errors instead - probably my fault rather than anything else!

(This bug was also reported in Ubuntu's bug tracker -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/881843)