Brother HL-2140 on MacOS 10.7 "Lion"

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Oct 28 05:39:21 PDT 2011

Andrew Howard wrote:

> Goodness! I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. I guess I'd expected email
> notification of replies. Forgot all about this. That's the problem with
> having too many computers. It's usually easier to just switch computers,
> instead of solving your problems.
>
> Anyway, I believe this is the PPD file that CUPS is using:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1716280/2140
>
> Does that seem right?
>
>> Andrew Howard wrote:
>>
>> > Printer: Brother HL-2140
>> > OS: MacOS 10.7 "Lion"
>> > Driver: CUPS 4.0.1
>> >
>> > This is the only computer in the house that has trouble. Others are
>> > running Debian, MacOS 10.6 "Snow Leopard", or Windows XP/7. The printer
>> > appears properly over Bonjour network advertising, but when added is
>> > unable to find an appropriate print driver. It prompts to install
>> > automatically, but fails and says to contact the manufacturer.
>> > Brother's website lists the latest driver as CUPS 4.0.1. I upgraded to
>> > that from 4.0.0. At that point, I can add the printer and specify the
>> > correct driver (which does identify as 4.0.1 in the Printer Utility),
>> > but attempts to ascertain printer status or to print documents both
>> > fail.
>> >
>> > Is this an issue anyone else has reported?
>> >
>> > --------
>> >
>> > Brother's response:
>> >
>> > Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your HL-2140.
>> > Printer sharing is a function of your operating system. Although the
>> > Brother machine may work with the printer sharing, we cannot guarantee
>> > that it will work.  If you would still like to use this feature, please
>> > contact Apple for further assistance.
>> >
>> > ------------
>> >
>> > Of course, CUPS.org does not even list the HL-2140 as a supported
>> > model, so I'm not sure who's really responsible for writing the driver.
>> > Should I bump this over to the MacOS support fora, or is here good?
>>
>> Perhaps you could post (an URL to) the PPD your installation uses to look
>> if and how far it is compatible with cups 1.4.x.
>>
>> Helge

On a first glance, the PPD looks OK, but what I cannot judge on externally
is if the applications/plugins spicified by the *AP... keywords are
compatible with the OS specific printing support in Lion.

You could try to print a test page from the CUPS web interface (and perhaps
encapsulate the test print by
cupsctl --debug-logging
 and
cupsctl --no-debug-logging
and post the portion of the /var/log/cups/error_log which contains the
messages relating to the test job.

If all that fails, you could try to turn the mentioned statements into
comments by changing thr "*AP" to "*%AP" in the respective lines and repeat
the test.

Helge