Simple custom driver for text-based print queue

David dwe at melexis.com
Fri Aug 24 02:57:13 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have a couple of labelprinters that are defined in CUPS as "raw" print queues or using the Generic/Text-only "driver".

We are sending print commands (ASCII files) directly to the printers, everything working fine so far.

Now I want to have a custom printer driver in CUPS that manipulates the file sent to the printer. I want to replace some characters in the print job. I am able to write a simple shell/perl script that would do this, but I have no idea how I can get this done in CUPS or how to integrate a shell script that can read the print job, modify and spool it out again to the printer.

Does anyone of you have ideas or recommendations or even examples to start with?

I am using cups 1.3.8 at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
David.