[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4172: Unable to use ipptool to send requests that require authentication since 1.5.4

Quatre Horrace quatrehorrace at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 11:01:22 PDT 2012

In Cups 1.5.4 and in 1.6svn-r10194 I was able to use the following to send
a request to a printer that required authentication:

../ipptool-static  -f testfile.ps ipp://user:password@$IP_ADDRESS/
print-job.test

However, with Cups 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 I am unable to do this.

Invoking the same command with 1.6.0, 1.6.1, and 1.6svn-r10486 results in
the following result:
(null)
        IPP request failed with status successful-ok ((null))

Looking at the traffic over wireshark, after ipptool sends the first
request without credentials and is challenged by the printer, ipptool
fails to send a second request with credentials.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4172
Version: 1.6-current