[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #4240: cups print queue name changes between reboots

Bo Z Nyus bozonius at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 13:42:24 PST 2012

On 12/12/2012 06:33 AM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  INSTEAD, POST ANY RESPONSES TO THE LINK BELOW.
>
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> This looks like your Linux distribution is deleting and then re-adding the
> printer when the USB issues happen. And the default queue name is
> different than the one you originally chose.
>
> I'd talk with the Scientific Linux folks about what they are using to
> automatically create/delete USB printers...
>
> Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4240
> Version: 1.4.6
> Fix Version: Third-party

OK, I will let them know.  But I am wondering if it could be due to a
timing/integrity issue surrounding the cups configuration files. If CUPS
has the file open when it starts, and the host is rebooted before CUPS
closes it, perhaps one or more of its configuration files has lost
integrity by the time the system comes back up?

If so, then this could be a more generic problem.  OTOH, SL uses 1.4,
which is a bit downrev to begin with.   An upgrade might well address
this issue.