[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4251: cupsaddsmb does not work Cups 1.6.1

Mark markosjal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 06:09:46 PST 2012

I have spent a week trying to export printers to samba with cupsaddsmb so
that they will not only advertise via Samba, but provide postscript
drivers to Windows clients. The printer drives never seem to copy to the
proper directory my smb.conf contains

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = yes
   write list = root, @lpadmin

changed permissions on /var/lib/samba/printers to 777

I have tried multiple variations and cupsaddsmb terminates completely
silently despite the -v option or tells me something like there are no
printers to export

Admittedly I have cheated a little as I am running CUPS 1.61 on Ubuntu
12.04 which I installed via Ubuntu 12.10  .deb files.

I have however tried on Linux Mint Maya and xbmcbuntu  both based on
ubuntu 12.04

it seems that maybe cupsaddsmb is broken? If it is not broken perhaps the
documentation needs improving? As cups 1.6 seems to be such a major
overhaul the need for accurate information in the manual is increased and
I am just wondering if there is something in the syntax that has changed
for 1.6 that is not on
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.6/man-cupsaddsmb.html

on the other hand maybe Apple wants to make the life of non Apple systems
more difficult?

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4251