[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4012: cups-polld is unable to connect to print server after suspend/resume

Olivier Mehani shtrom-cups at ssji.net
Wed Feb 1 06:45:21 PST 2012

With a ``BrowsePoll PRINTSERVER_NAME'' line in the local cupsd.conf, I can
list, access and use all printers shared by PRINTSERVER_NAME. However,
after suspending my computer for the day, and resuming the next, ``lpstat
-a'' can't list any printer, neither can the CUPS interface on
localhost:631, and I cannot print, of course.

Investigaging the logs shows that cups-polld has troubles:
  [cups-polld PRINTSERVER_NAME:631] Unable to connect to PRINTSERVER_NAME
on port 631.

At the same time, PRINTSERVER_NAME is perfectly reachable from the rest of
the system, and connecting with a browser to its port 631 shows its CUPS
WebUI as expected, with all the printers. So it is not a network
connectivity issue. Or rather, when I try it out (it may be a network
establishment race issue), the network provably works. It is also not a
remote server issue.

The attached log shows the problem with ``LogLevel debug''. It was
generated by
 1) Setting the LogLevel;
 2) killall -HUP cups (that's where the log starts);
 3) lpstat -a (confirming the printers are there);
 4) Suspending the computer then resuming it the next day;
 5) lpstat -a (showing no printers; note the ``Unable to connect to
PRINTSERVER_NAME'' messages form cups-polld at this stage);
 6) killall -HUP cups;
 7) lpstat -a (the printers are there again, and no error from
cups-polld).

All these steps are identified in the attached log file with lines of 72
`=' for easy search.

cups-polld seems to be restarted at every HUP (it gets a new PID). There
appears to be a non-user required full reload just after resume (see label
???).

It also appears that when I just Supsend/Resume in a very short time (<
5min), the problem doesn't appear.

I'm using cups-1.5.01-1 as packaged by ArchLinux. I reported a bug about
it there, but it was asking for a dirty fix, and was closed as WONTFIX
[0].

[0] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26704