[cups.development] How to show printer resident fonts in write?

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 4 06:07:57 PST 2012

That's rather completely off your original question - you were asking how to use printer resident fonts without embedding them, to minimize print-size/print-job-size . That's I have given you a few suggestions.

To have WYSIWYG printing from a GUI application on a linux machine, with additional custom fonts - which *will be embedded* ! - you copy the fonts into the $HOME/.fonts (the .fonts directory of the user's home directory), then run fc-cache . The additional custom fonts needs to be true type (ttf) or open type (otf)'s. Then any GUI application should be able to see and use them. This is a per-user configuration/customization.

Read up on "fontconfig" on the internet if you needs more details.

To have additional fonts visible in the end-user application, but not embedded when printing, that's a complicated question - you'll need to define your requirement a bit (e.g. what GUI application, etc).