How to show printer resident fonts in write?

Gurmeet Singh gurmeet.janjua at yahoo.in
Wed Jan 4 22:05:23 PST 2012

> That's rather completely off your original question - you were asking how t=
> o use printer resident fonts without embedding them, to minimize print-size=
> /print-job-size . That's I have given you a few suggestions.=0A=0ATo have W=
> YSIWYG printing from a GUI application on a linux machine, with additional =
> custom fonts - which *will be embedded* ! - you copy the fonts into the $HO=
> ME/.fonts (the .fonts directory of the user's home directory), then run fc-=
> cache . The additional custom fonts needs to be true type (ttf) or open typ=
> e (otf)'s. Then any GUI application should be able to see and use them. Thi=
> s is a per-user configuration/customization.=0A=0ARead up on "fontconfig" o=
> n the internet if you needs more details.=0A=0ATo have additional fonts vis=
> ible in the end-user application, but not embedded when printing, that's a =
> complicated question - you'll need to define your requirement a bit (e.g. w=
> hat GUI application, etc).

Hi Hin-Tak Leung,

I am sorry for not explaining the problem that i am facing.
Let me explain the problem scenario in detail
I am developing Dot Matrix Printer driver using CUPS. I have ppd file supplied by the vendor. I am able to print using ppd file through CUPS. Printer has some resident fonts. Now the requirement is that when Driver installed on system (Ubuntu) and same printer set as default printer then the fonts should display in the office writer's font combo box. If My printer is not default printer then font should not display in office writer's font combo box.

I have done same in case of windows. In windows i have developed driver for same printer with the help of WDK. I have given the reference of .ufm files in GPD file and compiled the same. It is working as expected. I want same in case of Ubuntu.

Thanks.