[cups.development] RFC: Adding smarts to handle Canon Sephy dyesub printers

Stuffed Crust pizza at spam.shaftnet.org
Sat Jan 7 08:22:45 PST 2012

Michael R Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> You'll need a custom USB backend for this. Future versions of the
> libusb-based backend should add support for backchannel data but given
> that these printers do not actually correctly implement the USB print
> class I doubt that it will help - you backend would seem to need to
> know the details of each model... :(

"Each model" meaning I'd have to explicitly track the USB vendor/model
IDs or are you talking about something else?

So going forward it seems that the correct way to proceed is to convert
my tool into a proper CUPS filter that assumes proper backchannel
support, and fork the current usb-unix backend so that it'll support
backchannel operations on the SELPHY printers.

How would I specify to the rest of CUPS to preferentially use the forked
backend instead of the standard USB one?

Can I assume (for now) that the usb-darwin backend supports the
backchannel?  Canon's complete lack of support for 10.7/Lion is what
inspired this recent push, and I don't have access to an OSX box of any
flavor to test on.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL                          ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^