[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4142: Printing to Postscript printer barely works

H. Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Sat Jul 21 12:59:11 PDT 2012

Thanks for the files. As far as I can see, the 1.5.3 test page has been
converted completely to uncompressed bitmapped image(s), due to a special
quirk handler in the pdftops filter for Brother (and Kyocera) printers and
an additional patch to Ghostscript (9.02 and higher). That certainly is the
cause of the long processing time.
Fom only looking into the sources I cannot determine why even the font
data are converted to bitmaps (should only be done for CID fonts).

As a first possible workaround I'd suggest to replace the installed
pdftops filter by the pdftops filter based on the pdftops utulity program
(either Xpdf or Poppler based), which both avoid using the PostScript
compression filters suspected to crash the Brother printer's PS
interpreters.