IPP Everywhere on Linux

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jun 12 13:52:42 PDT 2012

franz. pfoertsch. brose wrote:

> Hello Helge,
>
> did you tried it?
> I found no difference. I have a Lexmark Postscript printer, with snmp and
> without ipp. There was no difference to 1.5 :-(
>
> regards
> Franz
>>
>> I guess 1,6x finds new printers via SNMP as the previous versions do and,
>> in case of printers that *do* support IPP natively, sends an IPP request
>> to them to get the ...supported and ...defaults back.
>>
>> Helge

As I understand it, IPP everywhere requires that the printer "speaks" IPP, see the bunch
of RFCs about IPP requests and responses (or read Michael Sweet's CUPS book, if you
succeed to get a copy).
I think you may use the ipptool utility to do tests independent of a running cupsd.

The information returned by an IPP printer should look similar to the following example
(this has been made using the test utilities of cups 1.3.x):

"get-printer-attributes.test":
    Get printer attributes using get-printer-attributes
        (41604 bytes in response)
        EXPECTED foo
        RECEIVED
        status-code = 0001
        attributes-charset = "utf-8"
        attributes-natural-language = "en"
        printer-uri = "ipp://..../servlet/IPPServlet.IppPrinter/...."
        opi-image-insertion-supported = novalue
        opi-image-pre-scan-supported = novalue
        trap-width-fast-default = novalue
        trap-width-slow-default = novalue
        **Error - bad key value** =
        media-back-coating-supported = novalue
        media-front-coating-supported = novalue
        charset-configured = "iso-8859-1"
        charset-supported = "iso-8859-1" "utf-8"
        color-supported = false

Helge