Konica-Minolta 4750en crashed using CUPS 1.52 but not 1.50

Mark Blades m.c.blades at btinternet.com
Thu May 3 11:06:55 PDT 2012

> Mark Blades <m.c.blades at btinternet.com> writes:
>
> > %%[ Starting Executive ]%%
> > UltraScript(tm) Version 3015.102  COPYRIGHT 1987, 2002 MINOLTA-QMS, INC.
>
> That is the same version they use on the higher-end printers.
>
> Try this:
>
> nc --idle-timeout=60  magic 9100 <cups1-52_fail.txt >& 4750-fail.out
>
> and then:
>
> egrep -a '^%%' 4750-fail.out
>
> You might need to adjust the nc options, or use netcat instead,
> depending on the versions you have installed.
>
> The 5750 gives me this:
>
> %%[ Error handled by opdfread.ps : ioerror; OffendingCommand: readstring ]%%
> %%[STACK:
> %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
>
> But if you can convince your cups' pdftops filter to use
> /usr/bin/pdftops instead of /usr/bin/gs it should work better.
>
> That is what your 150 example used.
>
> I grabbed the cups-filters deb; frm the control file I see that debian
> now uses the openprinting cups filters.  Their version of the filter
> still has support for using pdftops(1) (although it blocks level3
> output, which would be better for the KM printers, because it causes
> problems on some HP printers), but you would need to recompile from
> source to use it.
>
> I'd suggest reporting this to debian as a bug (using reportbug(1)).
> Your printer prefers the Postscript generated by poppler's or xpdf's
> pdftops -level3 over the Postscript generated by Ghostscript's ps2writer.
>
> Their switch to use the latter in cups-filters is a regression for you.
>
> -JimC
> --
> James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Couldn't get your command to run succesfully but this  sent a file to the printer (which hung it) and created an empty 4750-error.out file

nc 192.168.1.70 9100 <cups1-52_fail.ps >& 4750-fail.out

sending the same command with the 1-50-success file results in it printing and an empty .out file being created.

Thanks for all the help so far.  I did try installing cups 1-50 binary with poppler13 from the oneirix repositories.  This screwed up apt and also killed cups so I ended up reinstalling the OS.  I am now wondering if I should just create a virtualbox with oneiric server on it and run cups in that.  Then at least I should be able to print via the virtual box?