[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #4073: jobs printing multiple times

dkastens.uos dkastens at uos.de
Thu May 10 02:49:40 PDT 2012

cups 1.5.0-8ubuntu6 on Ubuntu 11.10
We have several HP printers (laserjet, designjet) connected via ipp and
some queues that are sending the jobs to another lpd server.
Some jobs on the ipp queues are printed multiple times (two or more),
although only one copy should be printed. The jobs only appear once in the
log files (page_log, job history). I investigated the cups errorlog
(debug2) but couldn't see any errors. The problem seems to occur if the
printer is busy when the job starts. There are several messages "Printer
busy; will retry in 10 seconds..." and when the printer finally accepts
the job, it is printed multiple times. The lpd queues are not affected.
Do you have any idea what could be wrong or where I should start
investigating the logs or config files?