[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4204: Printing Legal/Long Bond in Landscape mode prints Letter Size

Francis Manas fhmanas at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 06:32:07 PDT 2012

I have been having this issue since Ubuntu 10.04, currently using 12.04. I
have a custom program in Wine that should print landscape in long
bond/folio size. The program prints in landscape but whatever paper I
choose, it stops the size of letter size paper. I first thought it to be a
problem of Wine, so I was coordinating the bug with Wine forum/bug tracker
(http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=54091), and for a while I thought
it fixed. But when I upgraded to 12.04, the problem came back.

On a hunch I tried Ubuntu LibreOffice and it printed it exactly the same
way, chose legal size (8x14) to print in landscape mode and it printed the
document in landscape but the size is letter size (8x11). Googling I saw a
lot of people having similar problems with LibreOffice, but I thought they
are focusing on LibreOffice as the culprit, the same way I was focusing on
Wine as the culprit. I did try other apps, like the PDF writer. Googling
further would reveal other users with their own apps having the same
output on Ubuntu, Suse, etc.

I saw that some are focusing on their app (ie. LibreOffice, PDF Writer,
Wine, etc) or the ppd file of their printer. I also upgraded my ppd file
for my HP printer, same result.

I have tried all the apps with printers from Canon (ip2770), HP (Deskjet
Ink Advantage), Epson (lpt - FX2175) and results are all the same.

Therefore, there is only 1 common to all of these, and it is Cups. I
haven't seen anybody really focusing on problem to be cups, I was thinking
maybe some Cups programmer/developer might be able to check this out. Why
landscape printing disregards paper size and sticks to letter size.

Thanks.

Francis