[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4179: Cups or LPD filters UTF-8 box drawing characters.

Jason jpvoodoo at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:42:44 PDT 2012

The platform is OpenSuse Linux 12.1 64 bit.
Cups 1.50
Printer is an HP photosmart 5510 wireless.

Again, the issue appears with the translation of UTF-8 BOX-DRAWING Glyphs
in code point range (U+2500-U+25FF). I came accross a another bug at
freetype which suggested that this could be
an issue with certain fonts not having glyphs for that particular code
point range. If so, this might not even be your bug.

My /usr/share/cups/charsets/utf-8 indicates that i am using a
monospace font for the BOX Drawing range:

"2500 25FF ltor single Monospace Monospace-Bold Monospace-Oblique
Monospace-BoldOblique"

My kde font installer says that font doesn't have samples in that code
point range. I don't know whether just changing this entry to a different
font is the proper way to specify a different font in a cups config. if
you can clarify that's how I could do it, I'll test it.

I'll be honest, I'm not skilled in the internals of how cups works I have
no knowledge of filters or how to implement or change them, but I'm
willing risk screwing up my installation toyally to give it a shot.

The contents of /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs does confirm it uses
texttops as it's filter for text/plain mime-type: here is the portion that
may be relevent:

#
# PostScript filters
#
<snip for brevity>

text/plain                      application/postscript          33
texttops

<snip for brevity>